Monday 22 December 2014

WPS-PAT


Today I went to the police academy and did the WPS-PAT (Winnipeg Police Service Physical Abilities Test) which my mentor arranged for me to do with the fitness coordinator.
The test consists of running 400 meters (1/4 mile) over a 6 lap course. This includes running up/down stairs, and jumping over hurdles. After the 6 laps, there is a push/pull station where you push and pull against a 80 pound resistance while moving back and forth in a controlled circle. After this station comes the non-timed station where you lift and carry 80 pounds for 50 feet.
In order to pass you have to do it in 4 minutes and 15 seconds, but I did it in 4 minutes and 35 seconds, meaning I failed by 20 seconds. The hardest part of the whole run was doing the push station because I had slippery shoes on and its harder to push weight than to pull it.
I had a fun time trying to do the WPS-PAT and I learned that police officers have to do it every year. Those who are new have to do it in order to get a raise and those who have been working for more than a few years get 20 hours of extra time off work.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go, Lauren. I know that you just missed the mark, but this was still an important and active step toward your goal—and over Christmas break!

    Now you have some experience to guide your training workouts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. it was tough, but fun, and im glad I got to try it. I now know what areas I have to work on, and what areas I am already good at.

    ReplyDelete